Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Feels like Home

The Rocky Mountains and ISU are places that feel like 'home' to me.  The Rockies because of all the memories as a child; camping, hiking, visiting cousins.  Wow, we had fun, and our first adventures outside our western Iowa farm.   Of course, ISU is where I grew up, fell in love and found a direction for my life.

Malawi is also feeling like home.  As a new retiree, I took the chance to go to Malawi.  I had downsized my family home to a Town home and ventured Ito central Iowa from the east.  I was trying to find new friend, home church, etc.  Some days I felt like a nobody.

In Malawi I 'grew up'!  (That is crazy for old lady to say) and found a direction for my new phase. I saw the hope and empowerment of people living in what we would call poverty.  They were eager to listen, learn and better their lives.  They would look beyond my outer exterior and learn about who I am.  And of course, they had that dynamic faith in God that I do so envy.  I saw the impact of the recent project and felt their energy in developing new skills and resources.

 I am returning for the third time and some wonder why.  I can only say, I need to.  It's beginning to feel like home.

No comments:

Post a Comment