Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Anticipation, excitement and anxiety

I am full of anticipation and excitement for our trip to Malawi! It has always been a dream of mine to be able to go on a mission trip such as this one. For the past 6 months our 2016 Malawi team has been meeting to finalize plans. Len has been our team leader. He has spent a great deal of time taking care of all the details and offering guidance and prayers along the way.

We met last Sunday for the final time before we depart on June 25th. As we closed our meeting with prayer, Scott asked each of us to share something we are anxious about as we prepare to leave. Some of the anxieties shared included: our safety, concerns for our families while we are gone, good health, surviving the 17 hr. plane ride, bugs (that was one of mine) and who would mow our lawns and keep our plants watered.

Len gently reminded us that many of our concerns were “1st world” concerns. When it came time for Kelby to share she said that she didn’t feel anxious because she doesn’t know what to expect. Her statement helped me realize that I want to be in mission with Christ waiting expectantly for the unexpected. I pray that my heart will be open to all God has planned and that I can reach out with the love of Jesus. Exactly how this will happen I do not know. God is far bigger than anything I can dream up to worry about!

I am reminded of the comforting scripture in Philippians 4:6-7: Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving , let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Bess Hibben

No comments:

Post a Comment